Ever wondered if there is a way to make your own VEGAN cultured Greek style yogurt? Well the answer is yes and Priscilla Soligo of Rawthentic food will show you how with this simple recipe! Organic plant based probiotics are added to a base of blended coconut meat. The mixture is then allowed to sit 10-12 hours at around 100 degrees F to complete the fermentation process after which a splash of lemon juice is added for extra tang. If you are in a cold climate you can simply place your bowl in a dehydrator set to 100 degrees. Remember to always use glass for your cultured foods! Serve it up with fresh berries and superfood toppings!
3 Cups (725g) Coconut Meat
1 Cup Water
1 tsp probiotics (Powder only. We recommend Sunbiotics Potent with Organic Prebiotics)
3 Tbsps (46g) Lemon Juice (or Lime)
Pinch Pink Himalayan Crystal Salt
1. In a high speed blender, blend coconut meat and water until creamy and smooth.
2. Add in the probiotics and pulse through until well combined.
3. Pour yoghurt into a large glass bowl and place a plate or lid on top to cover. Place in a dehydrator for approximately 10-12 hours at 100°F (37.5°C) to allow fermentation.
4. Place cultured yoghurt into the blender and add in the lemon juice and salt. Blend until well incorporated.
5. Pour yoghurt back into a clean glass bowl and place in the fridge for a few hours to chill before serving.
6. Serve with berries (such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries), or mango and banana. Add a drizzle of your favourite sweetener such as coconut nectar (low GI), or yacon syrup (low GI), or raw honey, or maple syrup! Yummy!
Variation: Make a breakfast (or healthy snack) parfait by building a layer of fruit in a parfait glass followed by a layer of yoghurt and the a layer of sprouted and dried buckwheat. Repeat every inch or two until you get to the top.
Try flavouring your yoghurt by whisking through a few drops of your favourite flavour extracts such as vanilla, blueberry, hazelnut, cherry and lots more! Enjoy!